Fort Laramie National Historic Site (founded as castle William after which regarded for some time as fort John) was an enormous nineteenth-century trading submit and diplomatic web page located at the confluence of the Laramie River and the North Platte River in the upper Platte River Valley in the eastern part of the U.S. state of Wyoming. It became based within the 1830s to service the overland fur trade all through the centre 19th century. It sat at the lowest of the long climb main to the nice and lowest crossing factor at South pass into western descending valleys and so turned into a number one stopping point at the Oregon Trail. along with Bent’s fort on the Arkansas River, the buying and selling put up and its helping industries and agencies were the most widespread economic hub of commerce inside the region.
citadel William became a non-public fur buying and selling publish founded by way of William Sublette and his associate Robert Campbell in 1834. within the spring of 1835, Sublette offered the citadel to Thomas Fitzpatrick, a nearby fur trader. After the Rendezvous of 1836, it turned into offered to the Yankee Fur company. beginning as early because the fall of 1840, the Yankee Fur employer commenced competing with the new set up fort Platte, constructed by using L.P. Lupton. In reaction, the yank Fur business enterprise hired worker’s from Santa Fe to construct an adobe fort to replace castle, William. This citadel was named fort John, after John Sarpy, an accomplice of the American Fur corporation. In 1849, u.s.a. army bought the citadel to guard the numerous wagon trains of migrant vacationers at the Oregon path, and consequently the subsidiary co-positioned northern emigrant trails which cut up off similarly west which includes the California and Mormon trails. The middle reaches of the Mormon path stayed on the north banks of the Platte and North Platte River and merged with the alternative emigrant trails heading west over the continental divide from fort John-Laramie. The name fort Laramie came into sluggish use, likely as a convenient shortening of “fortress John on the Laramie River”.
The remaining structures are preserved because of the fortress Laramie national historical website by the National Park Service.